All you need to join our club is an interest in photography (oh… and a camera!)
Who are we?
At Aperture Woolwich Photographic Society you will find a group of friendly photography enthusiasts who are keen to share ideas and help each other improve on their skills. We are based at Shrewsbury House Community Centre Bushmoor Cresent, Shooters Hill, London, SE18.
What do we do?
Although we don't teach photography in an academic way (you may wish to consider local Adult Education classes for that) we do aim to help you improve your photography with a programme which offers something for beginners and more experienced photographers, including:
- Regular PDI* and print competitions where members can present their work and receive feedback and constructive criticism from guest judges.
(*PDI stands for Projected Digital Images - photographs displayed on
a screen using a high-definition digital projector).
- Inter-club competitions on a regional and national level.
- Photographic outings on some club evenings in the summer months, photo-shoots on weekends throughout the year.
- Talks by guest speakers on a variety of photographic subjects, e.g. landscape, street, photojournalism, natural-history, sport, portraiture, still-life, digital editing, etc.
- Practical workshops on digital editing, use of your camera gear, preparing images for competition and exhibiton, creative portrature and still-life in own on-site studio.
- We hold evenings throughout the year where members share tips, ideas or just talk about their photography.
- We have a club prescence on Flickr and Facebook where our members are encouraged to upload new images and discuss all things photography.
Who is the club for?
Beginners are welcome, as are enthusiasts and professionals alike. Currently our members range from absolute beginners through to very experienced enthusiasts. People under 16 are also welcome, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian to all our events – all club meetings and external events (photo-shoots, club walks, outings etc).
Non-members are welcome to attend selected events and activities as detailed in the club’s programme. To help cover the cost of some of these events a £3 admission fee may be payable at the door, unless specifically stated as free in the programme. Please check our current programme for forthcoming events.
Phone: call Marshall on 07446 426444 or Stu on 07973 231527 for a chat.
We are affiliated to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB) through the Kent County Photographic Association (KCPA) and to the Federation of South London Photographic Societies (FSLPS).
A lot of help and information is available on this website, and you can keep up to date with our events by subscribing to our emailed newletter. Members can post their work to our Flickr gallery, and of course we're on Facebook and Twitter.